17 August 2018

Toxic Toad ~ Real Danger to Pets!

 
Lucky for me my puppy Abby only got close enough to sniff this intruder before I pulled her back. This is a poisonous Sonoran Desert Toad that had made his way into my front yard and was enjoying a cool, moist spot near a water pipe. If a dog picks this toad up in its mouth or licks it, the chances are very good that it will be fatal. These frogs emerge during monsoon season so be viligant if you have pets! Here's more info and help tips if your pet has been poisoned. And TIME is CRITICAL to get your pet to the vet!

5 comments:

  1. My goodness but this is scary; I hope it is widely publicised so pet owners are aware. I imagine that stray animals or outdoor cats would be highly susceptible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is truly a danger. Happily this toad is only around during wet weather. If you read the link it includes an anecdote from a pet owner who nearly lost his dog to this poision. I am being really watchful!

      Delete
  2. What a coincidence! I just finished reading How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan. There is a section about this toad in it.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me more! How does this toad feature in the book? Intriguing!

      Delete
  3. It's a book about the history and current research of psychedelics. The author, in order to research, took some guided trips with several psychedelics. One of them was with the illegal drug that can be obtained from the poison of this toad.

    ReplyDelete