30 November 2015
29 November 2015
Raptor Free Flight program at the Desert Museum. Barn Owls are known for their silent flight and that is how they are such effective predators.
28 November 2015
If you have never seen the Raptor Free Flight program at the Desert Museum, I highly recommend this eye-popping and close encounter with some of the desert's most fierce predators. The flights are every day at 10am and 2pm and they are just amazing! These photos are of Harris Hawks which hunt as a family - so interesting! In the last photo one of the hawks is eating a little mouse that it caught.
27 November 2015
26 November 2015
|Christine Huley, Theo, Eileen Erickson, and Peanut|
|Peanut in a Sweet Pose|
25 November 2015
Yesterday I posted yummy dog treats and today the cats get their fair share! Funny story - I don't have any cats so the first time I made these I made them the same size as the dog treats. One of my cat-parent friends told met to scale the size back, big time! So you cat owners will already know that they need to be small. But if you are making them as gifts (as I was), remember that cats will not be interested if they are walnut sized! (:
Crunchy Tuna Cat TreatsMakes about 3 dozen treats
- 1 can tuna, no salt added and packed in water, drained
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon dried catnip
1. Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, combine drained tuna, oat flour, egg, olive oil and catnip. Blend until mixture is smooth. It will be thick but pliable and not terribly sticky.
3. Roll dough into 1/2 teaspoon balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. Use a skewer to press an X-shape into each cookie ball.
4. Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until they are dried on top and slightly browned. Allow to cool completely before offering to your kitty.
5. Place treats in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to seven days.
24 November 2015
My pups love, love, love these snacks. And all of their pals do, too! You can't go wrong with pumpkin as the main ingredient. It is so good for your precious pups and so yummy! Here is my current favorite dog treat recipe. If you make it, send me a photo of your pups enjoying them and I will happily post it here. (:
· 1 can (15oz) canned pumpkin
· 4 Tbsp molasses
· 4 Tbsp water
· 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
· 2 cups whole wheat flour
· ¼ tsp baking soda
· ¼ tsp baking powder
· 1 tsp cinnamon (don't substitute nutmeg - that's bad for dogs)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix pumpkin, molasses, vegetable oil, and water together in a bowl.
3. Add the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon to the mixture and stir until dough softens.
4. Scoop out small spoonfuls of dough and roll into balls on your hands (wet hands work best).
5. Set the balls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. If you like, you can flatten the balls with a fork.
6. Bake approximately 25 minutes until dough is hardened.
Enjoy! Or should I say, "Woof!" ? (:
23 November 2015
22 November 2015
21 November 2015
20 November 2015
19 November 2015
18 November 2015
I mentioned that the walking tour I took got rained on (repeatedly!) and this photo looks as though it was taken in twilight because of the street light that is shining. As you can see on the clock, it was a little after 10:00 in the morning!
17 November 2015
The Fox is the only remaining example of "Southwestern Art Deco" and has been beautifully restored to its former glory. The Fox shows movies and also has live music performances. It is one of my favorite spots downtown. For more info on the history and more photos, click here.
16 November 2015
15 November 2015
Alliance Francaise de Tucson. If you are looking for connection to the French community, this is a good place to start. Each month there is a French film and there are classes, workshops, book discussion groups, conversation groups, French celebration events and more. Starting in January there will be a monthly potluck. Connect to France at AFT!
14 November 2015
13 November 2015
12 November 2015
11 November 2015
HERE for recipes that will make this year's bird "Totally Tucson." Bon appetit!
10 November 2015
09 November 2015
|The amazing Scottie McGowan, Director of Southern K9 Operations!|
|And another sweet face!|
|What a gorgeous group!|
|Always an awesome raffle table!|
|Gaggle of Goldens!|
|Sue Lindley, Volunteer Extraordinaire!|
|Carrie Kinnear, Agility Expert, with one of her pups.|
|Lazy shady day!|
|Your dog on a tile - nice gift idea!|